Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stupid Truck

Yesterday I tried to borrow my parents' truck. We recently got our boys bunk beds, but haven't had a way to get them mattresses. I was at their house so I figured I would just drive the truck home. Yeah right.
(Please remember I'm a week away from my due date, it was hot outside, and I had both of the boys with me. Truly this wouldn't have been such a dramatic occurrence if I was alone and not carrying a giant bowling ball in front of me.)
First problem: The truck wouldn't start. Oh, there was nothing wrong with it... I guess turning the key so hard there are indents in my fingers just isn't sufficient. The boys are buckled in and sweating already. My dad finally tries the ignition and of course it fires right up for him.
Problem B: The stupid thing that points of the PRDN23 doesn't exactly work. It goes between two of the letters, so what I thought was Drive was actually Neutral. Stupid truck.
Problem III: The truck had no gas. Or did it? All signs point to empty. When I go to fill it it does the clicking thing and refuses to fill. I'm sweating like crazy at this point, nearly swearing at the frickin thing. I leave the boys in the boiling car and go tell the guy at the register to help me. "The tank is full" he says. Sure, of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?!?!
Fourth problem: A mile down the road the engine starts smoking. I wasn't sure at first. Then I came to a stop light. Smoke is billowing out from under the hood and now filling the car. Adam says, "Mommy, we gotta get out of this place because it smells like hot dogs!" You're right Adam. Hotdog smelling cars are never good.
I pull over and we all get out of the car (lest it does us all the favor of just blowing up.) While waiting for rescue from my parents, I call Kyle. Poor guy. I'm not scared or hurt, I'm just frustrated. But how do you articulate that through tears? He thought I must have gotten in an accident and been hurt or something.
Anyway, eventually I was rescued and got home safe and sound. I know it wasn't as big of a deal as I made it out to be. I knew that while it was happening. I blame it on being pregnant. AHH.. sweet pregnancy, the 9 month long disease for which there is only one cure: the expulsion of an 8 pound parasite! Unfortunately all that excitement didn't put me into labor. I thought at least one good thing might come of it. Nope!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's my sexy truck and I have never had a problem with it. Her name is jacklynne. Just show her some love and she will behave.

Clayton