Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Missionaries

I felt impressed, recently, that we should begin a habit of feeding the missionaries. It came in a time where I was considering what more I can do for my children. The message was clear: they need to see missionaries; they need to talk to them and learn from them. They need to be inspired and motivated so that missionary service will be a goal from a young age.
I decided to put aside my hesitation. We don't have a big house and currently my dining room table is occupied by a puzzle. I decided now is the time and procrastination because of our humble situation is perhaps what Satan would want.
I set the date and decided we could eat pizza around the family room. The following is a list of the things that went wrong and my assessment of them.
1. Because Kyle wasn't home I had to take all of the kids to Costco with me. That isn't so bad. I can fit 3 of them in the cart, which was handy because Caleb was complaining that he didn't feel well.
As I was checking out I asked for help. Usually Costco doesn't offer, but I was told they are always willing to help if you are in need. My particular need was in getting the pizza to the car. Lily, Caleb and groceries were in the back of the cart. Levi was in the front. Since I was getting 2 pizzas I ran the risk of the top one sliding away if I put them on the bottom of the cart. The manager happily told me to load my kids and groceries in the car and drive to the loading zone. He would bring my pizza out.
Grateful, I went and loaded up. Five minutes passed and my pizza should have been ready. Five more and I figured they'd put it in the oven late. Five after that I wondered if they misunderstood the time I gave them. Five more and I was wondering how I was going to run in and leave my kids in the car. I got online and got the phone number to the food court. The kid there said they'd bring it out. Joy. 15 minute old pizza and now late to a missionary date. They sent out the food court supervisor who informed me they "never deliver." Thanks. Like I'd ask them to ever again. Jerk. He even made me dig around the trunk to find my receipt, though I'd shown it to the supervisor and told him so.
2. The ride home. Caleb started whimpering. "I'm so sick...."
"I know sweetie, we're almost home."
"Blahhhhgggghugh"
I'm not really sure how to spell out the sound of puke in my back seat, but that is the closest I can do. Oh, and repeat that three times. Later, Kyle would say it was the most vile thing he'd ever seen.
3. Once we are eating with the missionaries, Adam starts acting like a goon. This might seem like no big deal, but for a well behaved boy he sure was being a brat. He didn't sit still and when the missionary started to give a message he laid his head on the table and snored. I was mortified.
4. Lily develops a sudden inability to drink her bottle without my help. Usually I can prop it up and she'll do fine. Nope. Cried on and off the whole time.
5. Levi pees himself. He has been potty trained for a week. How many times has he had an accident? Zero. As in not a single drizzle.
At this point I am trying to empty the car, eat and be social, feed Lily, keep Adam from being offensive, shower Caleb, and change Levi. We didn't even bother cleaning out the puke till the missionaries left.
I am convinced all of this is the work of satan. He wants me to think it's too much work to have the missionaries over. I believe it is a great sadness to him that I have started to prepare my boys for missions. This can only mean he fears what my three sons will do in the work against him. I've cracked his code. I know of his intent to discourage me. As such, I must continue to have the missionaries over. I must keep firm and have faith that it will pay off. I have faith that my sons will be excellent missionaries if I teach and prepare them.

No comments: