Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Quotes

I have been finding quotes that speak to me a lot recently. I don't know why. Maybe I'm reading more. Anyway, I try to make sure I don't lose them; I take pictures of them on my phone, I underline them, I repeat them till they are committed to memory. But the truth is, my memory is the pits recently. I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders. So, I've decided to put them here. First comes from the Bible "If God be for us, who can be against us?" -Romans 8:31 I want to make a plaque for my house with this on it. I just love it! Also, it's not the whole verse, just the important part. The second one was from general conference. "Distancing yourself from the kingdom of God during a trial of faith is like leaving the safety of a secure storm cellar just as the tornado comes into view." -Neil L Anderson I'm not having any major life altering trials right now, but I have had a few in my day. I know that Satan uses our trials to pull us away from our Heavenly Father. I'll give him credit. He's pretty good at what he does. We often feel like God isn't pulling through for us. "We've been good, why are we being punished?" mentality is crippling to a lot of people. It seems like going to church isn't paying off and praying isn't getting us what we want. It's so much easier to be angry and turn away than it is to endure to the end. Honestly, I have no idea how I came across this one. I don't regularly read Doctrine and Covenants, but at some point in the past two weeks I came across this one. "Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him." -Doctrine and Covenants 45:3 I just really like the wording in this one. Jesus is our advocate and is PLEADING for us. Kind of like the one from Romans, this one speaks to me because it tells me I've got Jesus in my corner. Almost done here. Stay with me. "We must not be so ready to fancy ourselves intentionally injured." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice A lot of people need to read that one. Lots of people I know... And lastly, "the wisdom of the world, while in many cases very valuable, is most valuable when it humbly bows to the wisdom of God." -Neil L Anderson Didn't know I liked Neil so much, but I read this one and it screamed at me. I spend a lot of time educating myself. I read a lot, both things secular and religious. I wonder things like how creationism works out when you consider evolution. I don't quite understand how God and science fit together in some instances. I wonder, but I don't despair or doubt. I figure there's just a lot I get to find out when I get to Heaven and if I worry too much about trying to piece it together now, I'll ruin the surprise. I don't want that. Anyway, these are the quotes I wanted to save and the reasons I liked them. I hope you liked them too!

1 comment:

PA said...

You should take some biology classes. The wonders of creation are incredible. I haven't got it all figured out, but I can tell you that studying cellular biology has made me a believer.