Monday, August 30, 2010

Be Thou Humble

I made the mistake of letting my bishopric know that I don't turn down callings. I never have because it seems to me that if the bishopric is inspired to call you somewhere you ought not say no to the Lord!
Right?
Well, what if the bishopric feels inspired to call you to be a pianist and you don't play the piano? Are you still required to say yes? Probably. I said yes anyway. I'm terrified though. I got the schedule for the hymns for the rest of the year and I've been practicing about an hour and a half every day. It's not going well. I stumbled across this gem while I was practicing and it made me feel a little better.
"Be thou humble in thy weakness and the Lord thy God shall lead thee, Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers. Be thou humble in thy calling and the Lord thy God shall teach thee to serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love."
I like to cut off the end after the "Lord thy God shall teach thee." Since I'm in need of literal teaching, it speaks directly to me like this. I figure if Heavenly Father is gonna teach me how to play the piano and I'm willing to practice it can't be a complete failure.
PS. Should you have a little extra time in your prayers, remember me!

1 comment:

Lively's said...

It is better that the slip up the member of the bishopric said the Sunday you were sustained..."we call Sister Christina Parkhurst to be Relief Society Prestident...I mean pianist!" You will do fine! I have heard you play. You are far better than some who get that calling!