Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Charity Never Faileth

There are certain people in my life that stress me out. I mean more than I can stand sometimes. To the point where I just wanna get away, it's either that or yell. I'm more of a bottle it up kind of person though. I don't wanna hurt their feelings even when mine are hurt. So, I just get mad and stew and stew until I lash out.

Recently, after spending time with one such person, I read a conference article. Trust good old President Tommy (That's right, not just first name, but nickname basis) to put me in my place. I wasn't even home yet when I came across this gem. I was so ashamed and also kind of mad. He doesn't know what I go through! Then I remembered that Jesus knows everything we go through. And that sweet guy was a turn-the-other-cheek-er.

Now, I'm way too far away from being Christ-like to take undeserved punishment, but this talk kind of helped me see past my own annoyed feelings to try and see what other people are going through.

Here are a couple of quotes from the talk that hit home:

"I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.

I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.

Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings

In a hundred small ways, all of you wear the mantle of charity. Life is perfect for none of us. Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life. May we recognize that each one is doing her best to deal with the challenges which come her way, and may we strive to do our best to help out."

This is just some of the talk. I'm sure by reading the parts I picked you can see where I fall short. When people offend me, or do something that is hurtful or wrong to me, I tend to judge. I tend to get offended and I tend to get mad. I have no inclination to turn another cheek. I want to start hitting back instead.

President Monson says don't get pissed off, but try to understand. I will try.

(I'm not sure he would say "pissed off"...)


If you want to read this whole talk (and if you haven't already, you really should, it's amazing!) here is the link:

http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/charity-never-faileth?lang=eng

2 comments:

PA said...

now I am curious. . . who pisses you off so?

Britty said...

I loved that talk too! I remember it hitting home for me as well when I heard it. <3