Thursday, September 3, 2015

"Blessings of the Temple" - President Thomas S. Monson

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/blessings-of-the-temple?lang=eng

   This talk was sweet and simple. But then, aren't the truths of the Gospel simple? Our Heavenly Father clearly cares that we attend the temple. That is why He has His prophet remind us. Reading this talk, I am stuck by the fact that President Monson doesn't talk about temple "work," or about our duty to those on the other side. He talks instead about the peace and answers available to us in the temple. The temple is truly there for us. I am glad that my marriage is eternal. In yesterday's talk, the woman said she knew her testimony was there because she wanted her children to be married in the temple. That is definitely what I want for my children. Every time I go to a civil wedding, I want to cry when the officiator says "'Til death do you part." What a sad, sad promise. I don't understand how people believe that the Lord wants us to find someone, spend 70-80 years with them, really grow with them, and then die and be alone in the after life. What a scary thought. That plan does not come from the loving Heavenly Father that I know.
   I am glad that my marriage is eternal. I'm basically planning on piggy backing on Kyle's entrance into Heaven. If we were separated I might not make it! Don't misunderstand, my husband had flaws and weaknesses and I am not oblivious to them, nor do I idolize him. However, he is constant in his testimony and strength. It amazes me. You know how I have to read the scriptures and go to church and focus all my energy to be on track? Kyle has none of that. The Spirit doesn't leave him. I am a little bit envious.

   A couple of days ago, I told a friend that the Book of Mormon doesn't really inspire me very often. I find it a burden to read and am not struck with feelings of its truth or beauty very often. Well, I usually listen to it in the car. Yesterday I had some time to sit and flip through actual pages. I found something that I had marked, I don't know when or why. It wasn't the chapter I was even on, but I stopped to read it. It was beautiful! It was poetry. I was totally inspired and so glad to be eating my words. =) In case you were wondering, the scripture was 2 Nephi 4: 27-35. If I can give you advice: pull out an actual Book of Mormon. Convenience may help us to get more reading in, but it is the quality of our study,  not the quantity that is going to help us.

No comments: