Monday, October 12, 2015

"What lack I yet?" Larry R Lawrence

I love this talk. I am doing this in my car before leaving on a field trip with Caleb. So my notes are a little all over the place. Dont hold it against me.
The holy ghost gives honest counsel. He tells us things no one else knows or has the courage to say. He bears truth if we are willing to listen to it.
We need to be humble enough to ask the question, and faithful enough to follow through with the counsel we are given. I have to wonder at the pontential of the rich young man. If he had listened to the Savior, what could he have become? How sad that he stunted his own growth for money. We are given line upon line of improvement so we aren't overwhelmed.
Elder Lawrence recommends the sacrament as a time to quietly ask the father what we lack. The atonement makes our improvement possible.
I love the personal-Ness of the answers the holy ghost gives in his examples. Sometimes the answers are not super gospel related, but things that are just needed for our growth.

Perfection is not for this life, but growth is. He quotes President Spencers W. Kimball "“I have learned that where there is a prayerful heart, a hungering after righteousness, a forsaking of sins, and obedience to the commandments of God, the Lord pours out more and more light until there is finally power to pierce the heavenly veil. ... A person of such righteousness has the priceless promise that one day he shall see the Lord’s face and know that he is.”
I think this is exactly what I am looking for. My temple experience was seeking to pierce the heavenly veil. I am obviously not ready, but if I continue to hunger and chase righteousness I am promised that some day I will see the Lord's face.

No comments: