Monday, August 31, 2015

"Seeking the Lord" - Jose A Texeira

   https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/seeking-the-lord?lang=eng

We had a great talk in church on this yesterday. I took notes and everything. Unfortunately, today when I went to find said notes, I found that I forgot to save the memo in my phone. Oh well. I listened to the talk and remembered the thing that stuck with me the most yesterday was the use of the word "joy." I made the easy jump that seeking the Lord=Joy. If we spend our time in search of the Savior, we will find Him. We will serve. We will have peace through trials. We will experience love as we see people the way He would have us see them.
   The second half of the talk focuses a lot on technology. Use your phone to listen to the scriptures. Don't use your phone at church. That kind of thing. In a talk all about seeking the Lord, we need to understand how very easy we have it. So much is available to us, it's incredible. I even have a Pandora station full of LDS music for Sunday mornings. How lucky are we?
   Do you take it for granted? I hope I don't. I listen to my scriptures on the drive to get my kids. I read every post from the general authorities when I scroll through Facebook. I read conference talks every morning and make notes about them. =) But does technology get in the way sometimes? Perhaps. My brain often wanders while listening to the scriptures. I am much more of a paper book gal myself. I have yet to buy an ebook and there is good reason for it. I don't feel the same love for a cold bit of technology. Call me crazy. Or old. It's all true.

   On another track, I taught primary music again yesterday. What a great blessing that is. It's not a calling I'd want, but it's one I enjoy occasionally. Yesterday, I was told to teach the children the song, "I'm trying to be like Jesus." I thought there was no way they could not know that. Isn't that one we learn in Nursery? If not, it should be. Hello!? It's basically the entire gist of the Gospel. I told the kids I wanted to hear them sing it to see how well they knew it. I had them stand. I reminded them to be reverent, but to sing nice and loud. They sang every word. It was beautiful. They were so reverent and full of the Spirit, I almost cried. Which probably would have shocked no one. I teared up in Sacrament meeting too, singing The Spirit of God. I love music. It touches my heart in ways that speaking doesn't often do. And there is just something about itty bitty souls getting their primary music on. Primary programs just don't do it justice. If you haven't heard them sing beautifully, you should go visit Primary sometime.

No comments: