Tuesday, August 25, 2015

"The Gift of Grace" - President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/the-gift-of-grace?lang=eng#listen=audio

    Some talks from conference I like to read. I find some people's tones distracting. Or their breathing. Or their general voice. I know that is so stupid and it's something that I really can't stand about myself. But man, give me a conference talk with the best message and the most possible chance for feeling the spirit, but if the speaker has old man spit that I can hear, I can't focus on anything else. It's terrible. President Uchtdorf is actually someone I love listening to. I like his accent and conviction. I feel that most of his sentences should end in exclamation points and I love that. You can really feel his love of the gospel when he speaks.

    He starts by talking about Easter and the atonement. He wants us to speak of the atonement always. Really our lives should focus on it, shouldn't it? However, he warns that the Savior's atonement shouldn't become a commonplace things to us, profound gratitude shouldn't be lost. It is something we should always be in awe of. He says, "I marvel to think that the Son of God would condescend to save us, as imperfect, impure, mistake-prone, and ungrateful as we often are. I have tried to understand the Savior’s Atonement with my finite mind, and the only explanation I can come up with is this: God loves us deeply, perfectly, and everlastingly." Doesn't that make you think of the hymn I Stand all Amazed?

1. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
(Chorus)
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
2. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
3. I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.

     I imagine that is exactly how President Uchtdorf wants us all to feel. All of the time. In fact, I think he could have done a dramatic reading of this Hymn and really hit the nail on the head.
He goes on to talk about the two things that grace does:

    Grace unlocks the gates of Heaven- We can't earn our way into Heaven. It is impossible to get there ourselves. But the atonement makes it possible, and not just to be forgiven, but also to become like our Heavenly Father, which is the entire purpose. However, it is not enough that the Savior's grace is available to us, we must enter through the gate, by having a sincere change of heart.

    Grace opens the windows of Heaven and pours our temporal blessings and spiritual gifts. His grace helps us become our best selves. He then goes on to explain the parable of the two debtors and the creditor. One is forgiven much and the other is forgiven little. So who is going to love the creditor more? The lesson is that those who are forgiven more, love the Savior more. Do we love much? At the end of the talk, President Uchtdorf basically shouts his praise for the atonement. I imagine his sins are less than many, yet he clearly loves the Savior and is grateful for the atonement. So shouldn't we all be grateful for the atonement? I think if the atonement is commonplace to us, we don't truly understand how desperate our situation is.

    So, if Grace is God's gift, and not something we earn, why do we even need good works? Our obedience comes from, or should come from, genuine love for God. Our meekness and gratitude should make the living of the Gospel a joy, not a burden. It is merely "the reaching out of our mortal hands for the gift of Grace"

   I am definitely glad for Grace in my life. The atonement has been put to good use in my life. And by good use, I mean constant, frequent use. I am definitely the bigger debtor, yet sometimes I even let the atonement become commonplace in my life, by not thinking about it or appreciating my Savior enough. More to work on. =)

No comments: