Wednesday, August 26, 2015

"Where Justice, Love and Mercy Meet" - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland



https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/where-justice-love-and-mercy-meet?lang=eng

   Elder Holland begins by telling a story of brothers hiking. One was on the verge of falling to his death, when his brother reaches out and saves him. He uses the story as a parallel for the Savior's atonement. We were in a free fall because of Adam. A necessary free fall, of course, but a fall none the less. The Savior reached out and grabbed us by the atonement. He asks, "Is our only purpose in life an empty existential exercise—simply to leap as high as we can... then fail and fall, and keep falling forever?" This makes me think of those who don't understand the Plan of Salvation. What a sad life it becomes, if it is merely a rat race toward death. Maybe 80 years of making yourself happy and trying to accomplish something and then BAM! End of life, end of story. Do not pass Go...

   (I bet you had to say "Do not collect $200" in your head.)

   Elder Holland goes on to say, "Today (Easter) we celebrate the gift of victory over every fall we have ever experienced, every sorrow we have ever known, every discouragement we have ever had, every fear we have ever faced—to say nothing of our resurrection from death and forgiveness for our sins. That victory is available to us because of events that transpired on a weekend precisely like this nearly two millennia ago in Jerusalem...That first Easter sequence of Atonement and Resurrection constitutes the most consequential moment, the most generous gift, the most excruciating pain, and the most majestic manifestation of pure love ever to be demonstrated in the history of this world."

   Honestly, I can't say I have anything to add. Elder Holland always says things so beautifully. I guess I could just say that I am grateful I understand the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement, although admittedly, my understanding of the Atonement is general and grand. The minutia is something I just do not worry about. I know I have a limited scope and vision and I'm okay with that. My faith is sufficient. It tells me I just don't have to know everything. I know the Atonement is there for me. I know my Savior loves me. I know I have a way home if I want it. That's good enough for now.

No comments: