Thursday, August 20, 2015

"Stay by the Tree" - Elder Kevin W. Pearson

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/stay-by-the-tree?lang=eng#watch=video



   "Shortly before President Heber J. Grant passed away, one of the Brethren visited his home. Before he left, President Grant prayed, “O God, bless me that I shall not lose my testimony and keep faithful to the end!”1After nearly 27 years as President of the Church, this was his fervent prayer. His example is a striking reminder that no one, at any age, is immune from Satan’s influence. Two of Satan’s most powerful tools are distraction and deception."

   I don't usually quote such big parts of the talks. This is mostly a place for my thoughts and feelings. But my thoughts are that that quote sums up the whole talk. My feelings are that if a prophet of God needed reminding to stay close to the Gospel, how much more do we need it?

   Elder Pearson outlines steps for staying close to the Savior and likens it to Lehi's vision. The Lord is the tree and we need to stay close. Hence the title. The steps are things we have heard a million times in Sunday School. Pray. Have Faith. Read your scriptures. He put emphasis on reading the Book of Mormon. He says, "When adversity comes, don’t let something you don’t fully understand unravel everything you do know. Be patient, cling to truth; understanding will come."

   I went to a pack meeting recently for Adam. The den leader was talking about our baptism covenants and gave an easy way to remember them as you take the sacrament.

T. Take his name upon us.

A. Always remember Him.

K. Keep his commandments.

E. Endure to the end.

   Elder Pearson reminds us that enduring to the end is not the same as surviving a trial. To endure we must be constantly coming unto Christ, not just waiting for a trial to end. He says "The kingdom of God... requires valiant discipleship." To be keeping our baptismal covenants, we must be constantly coming unto Christ. If we aren't praying, reading our scriptures, and always remembering him, we are falling short of our potential as disciples.

And so to close, I will leave you with my very favorite primary song:

"The Lord needs valiant servants,
To do his work in the latter day,
Who follow the teachings of Jesus
And serve his people in a loving way.
I will be his servant
And keep my cov'nants valiantly.
I'll stand for truth. I'll stand for right.
The Lord can depend on me!"

I added the exclamation point. It really deserves it don't you think?

No comments: